Saturday, June 13th 2015. | Advanced Technology, Auto & Motor, Car

Last month, Daimler chairman Dieter Zetsche suggested that Smart might build a small crossover, an idea the German brand considered as early as 2005, when the ForMore concept was almost shown at the Frankfurt Motor Show. Now, Smart CEO Annette Winkler denied that the brand plans to expand its lineup with a crossover in the near future.

“We are not planning an SUV,” Winkler said at the Automotive News Europe Congress. “But never say never,” she added, hinting that a lifted Smart is not completely off the table. On the other hand, when asked whether Smart could build a new Roadster, Winkler said “certainly not,” citing too small a market for such a model. Smart build a roadster between 2003 and 2005, halting production after only 43,091 units made.

The brand’s original crossover, based on the ForMore Concept, was cancelled due to Daimler-Chrysler’s financial concerns. At the time, Smart had yet to make a profit after eight years on the market and the ForMore turned out to cost more money to develop than anticipated. The ForMore shared a platform with the C-Class sedan and the GLK-Class crossover (now renamed the GLC), and was supposed to receive a range of four-cylinder and V-6 gasoline and diesel engines.

Continue reading for the full story.

Smart Has No Plans For A Crossover originally appeared on topspeed.com on Saturday, 13 June 2015 23:00 EST.

read more


5 / 5 stars
Advertisement
Keyword:

Submit your comments For Smart Has No Plans For A Crossover

Related For Smart Has No Plans For A Crossover

Categories


Custom Search